Probate & Family Court
Judge Tyler Thompson
301 W. Upton
(231) 832-6124

Probate & Family Court

Probate & Family Court
Judge Tyler Thompson
Courthouse Annex
301 W. Upton
Reed City, MI 49677
(new address effective December 14, 2022)
(231) 832-6124

18th Probate District Court (Mecosta and Osceola Counties)
Judge Tyler Thompson

For COVID-19 information please contact the Court.

Probate & Family Court handles:

  • Estates, name changes, emancipations, trust registration, wills for safe keeping, and safe deposit box openings
  • Guardianships, protective proceedings, mental commitments, and drain appeals
  • Neglect / abuse and delinquency matters
  • Juvenile probation
  • Adoptions
Access to all Michigan State Court Approved forms can be found at:

The court is unable to provide legal advice, but you may contact an attorney or visit

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:

  • Do I have to probate my parents estate?

If items remain in the decedent’s name alone, it is possible that the asset may need to be probated.  Please see or an attorney for further information.

  • Do I need a Guardianship/Conservatorship for my relative?

Please click the following links to learn more about Guardianship/Conservatorship:
What you need to know before filing a petition to appoint a guardian for an incapacitated adult.
What you need to know before filing a petition to appoint a conservator

  • Can I make out my own will?

Please see or speak to an attorney for information regarding drafting a will.

  • Do I have to file my will with the Probate Court before I die?

No, however the Probate Court does provide the service of storing your will in our vault in a sealed envelope.  If filed with the Probate Court, the will is strictly confidential and cannot be opened until your death.  You may view, exchange, or remove your will yourself or by completing a state court approved form authorizing another person to remove or exchange your will.  The cost to file your will for safe keeping is $25.00.

  • Do I always have to have an attorney to do probate matters?

No, however, the court is not allowed to give any legal advise.

  • Can I get forms from your office?

Yes, the Probate Court does provide forms at the window regarding probate matters.  All forms can also be accessed at:

  • What does it cost to open a new file?

Most files cost $175.00 to open; however, the cost may be less for some case types.  Please review the Probate Court Fee and Distribution Schedule for all fees regarding the Probate Court.

  • Can you recommend an attorney that can help me?

No, the court cannot recommend an attorney as that would be a conflict of interest.

  • Can I talk to the Judge about a matter?

No, the Judge may only speak to individuals regarding a case while on the record in a session of court.

  • How much do Certified Letters cost?

The cost for Letters of Authority is $12.00 as there are two pages.  This cost complies with the Probate Court Fee and Distribution Schedule.

  • Are you the Probation Department?

No; please contact District Court Probation, Circuit Court Probation or Juvenile Probation.  Probation is not part of the Probate Court.