Friend of the Court
David Oostdyk, Referee
301 W.  Upton
Reed  City, MI  49677
Tel: (231) 832-6131
Fax: (231) 832-6158


After a complaint and an answer have been filed, either party may file a motion asking the court to decide the custody, parenting time, and child support issues.  Often the Friend of the Court may provide a type of alternative dispute resolution or conduct an evaluation before the court makes a decision regarding custody, parenting time, or child support.  The court usually holds a hearing to get the information it needs to decide those issues.

Both parties must be notified of the time and place of a hearing.  This advance notice gives the parties an opportunity to appear at the hearing and tell the judge or referee what they think the court should do.