Building: Tony Gagliardo, Monday - Thursday
Electrical: Tim Taylor, Tuesday & Thursday
Plumbing / Mechanical: Ken Clark, Wednesday
22054 Professional Drive, Suite A
Reed City, MI 49677
Open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, closed for the noon lunch hour. Due to the increase of Covid cases our office will be closed to the public. We can still service you at the door, drop box, mail or email. We thank you for your patience.
It is our mission to service customers with issuing permits and doing inspection in a timely manner. During this time of crisis nobody is exempt from obtaining the proper permits by the 2015 Michigan State Building Codes or the required inspections. The complete requirements can be obtained in the 2015 Michigan Building Code Permit Section 105, Inspections Section 110, 110.1 thru 110.6
Short version: 110.1 Construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspections by the building official (also includes the electrical, plumbing and mechanical) and such construction or work shall remain ACCESSIBLE and exposed for inspection purposes until approved.
Neither the building official nor the jurisdiction shall be liable for expense entailed in the removal or replacement of any material required to allow inspection.
CONTRACTORS - PLEASE COMPLETE AN UPDATED CONTRACTOR'S REGISTRATION FORM WITH A COPY OF YOUR LICENSE IF THE COUNTY DOES NOT HAVE AN UPDATED ONE ON FILE.
A MINIMUM of 24 Hours is required prior to conducting inspections.
Please review the Building Permit Process Flow Chart.
Building Permit applications are available from the Building Department or can be downloaded (go to navigation bar on left).
Required Documentation for a permit (follow the links or go to the navigation bar on the left for the required forms):
Proof of ownership: If you just recently purchased the property we need a copy of the deed or land contract with the description. If you have owned the property we can verify the property with your Property Tax #.
Address: If the parcel does not have an address issued currently we would need an approved driveway permit with the correct measurements to assign an address for you.
Zoning Approval: If you are in a zoned township, city or village we will need a copy of the zoning approval. See Building Permit Process Flow Chart for the list of the zoned units.
Health Department Approval: Provide a copy of the septic approval for all single family dwellings, mobiles, modulars and additions containing bedrooms.
Completed Building Permit Application along with the following:
- 2 Sets of drawings which include the spec sheet/cross section of the new construction. Foundation plan.
- Truss Drawings or until those are obtained the Roof Loading Data Sheet.
- Detailed floor plan with dimensions. If this is an addition also provide the floor plan of the existing structure.
- Detailed site map showing all buildings and structures new and existing with accurate dimensions. Include the estimated distance from your property lot lines.
- Energy Code Compliance worksheet for all new residential dwellings and additions. Commercial plans need lighting energy compliance provided.
- Driveway approval from the County Road Commission for all new construction. If on a State Highway contact MDOT.
- Soil Erosion waiver or required permit.
- Plan Review Fee all commercial projects and dwellings over 3,500 sq. ft. will be charged a plan review fee at the time of applying for a permit. Each required permit including trades will have a plan review charge.
- If you are the homeowner acting as the general contractor an affidavit form is required with your application.
Obtaining Permits & Scheduling Permits Online
Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Permits are separate permits. These permits are not included with the Building Permit fee.
- Electrical Guidelines should be referenced before performing any electrical work.
- Plumbing Guidelines guidelines have been published for homeowners who wish to install their own plumbing.
- Permit applications can be submitted online and inspections can also be scheduled online. While permit applications can be applied for online they can also be downloaded and submitted to the Building Department (go to navigation bar on left).
- Homeowners applying for a permit online should refer to the brochures Applying for Permits Online - For Homeowners and Automated Inspection Hotline - For Homeowners. Apply for a Permit Online now. Also, if acting as the general contractor for the construction of their own residence for their own personal use, refer to the form Homeowner's Permits.
- Contractors applying for permits online or scheduling inspections first need to Create a Contractor Account. Contractors applying for a permit online should refer to the brochure Applying for Permits Online - For Contractors and Automated Inspection Hotline For Contractors. Apply for a Permit Online now.
Codes & Guidelines
- 200 Amp Underground Service
- Construction Code Requirements, One & Two Family Dwellings
- Constructing or Altering a Driveway Within The Road Right-Of-Way
Permits to construct or alter a driveway within the road right-of-way are issued by the Osceola County Road Commission.
- Detached Accessory Structures
- Emergency Escape and Rescue Windows
- General Requirements for Residential Decks
- Installation Instructions for Windows
- Overhead Pole Setup
- Residential Stairways & Handrails
- Setting of Mobile Homes, Single & Doublewides
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
You can check the status of an individual's license by name, license number, license type, or location at the LARA website.
Additional Forms, Permits, and Worksheets
Available on the navigation bar to the left or from the Building Department.