Building - Donald LaBrenz, Monday - Friday
Electrical - Tim Taylor, Tuesday & Thursday
Plumbing / Mechanical - Gerald Antor, Wednesday
22054 Professional Drive, Suite A (formerly 4323 220th Avenue)
Reed City, MI 49677
The building inspector will not be in the office from March 24th thru the 29th. Also, the office will only be open from 8:00 a.m until noon on Friday, March 31st.
Unless specified otherwise normal Building Department hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Closed for the noon lunch hour); however, the inspectors are normally only in the office from 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. During the remainder of the day they are normally out conducting inspections.
1) Please review the Building Permit Process Flow Chart.
2) Building Permit applications are available from the Building Department or can be downloaded (go to navigation bar on left).
3) Required Documentation for a permit (follow the links or go to the navigation bar on the left for the required forms):
Proof of ownership: If you just recently purchased the property we need a copy of the deed or land contract with the description. If you have owned the property we can verify the property with your Property Tax #.
Address: If the parcel does not have an address issued currently we would need an approved driveway permit with the correct measurements to assign an address for you.
Zoning Approval: If you are in a zoned township, city or village we will need a copy of the zoning approval. See Building Permit Process Flow Chart for the list of the zoned units.
Health Department Approval: Provide a copy of the septic approval for all single family dwellings, mobiles, modulars and additions containing bedrooms.
Completed Building Permit Application along with the following:
- 2 Sets of drawings which include the spec sheet/cross section of the new construction. Foundation plan.
- Truss Drawings or until those are obtained the Roof Loading Data Sheet.
- Detailed floor plan with dimensions. If this is an addition also provide the floor plan of the existing structure.
- Detailed site map showing all buildings and structures new and existing with accurate dimensions. Include the estimated distance from your property lot lines.
- Energy Code Compliance worksheet for all new residential dwellings and additions. Commercial plans need lighting energy compliance provided.
- Driveway approval from the County Road Commission for all new construction. If on a State Highway contact MDOT.
- Soil Erosion waiver or required permit.
- Plan Review Fee all commercial projects and dwellings over 3,500 sq. ft. will be charged a plan review fee at the time of applying for a permit. Each required permit including trades will have a plan review charge.
- If you are the homeowner acting as the general contractor an affidavit form is required with your application.
ELECTRICAL, MECHANICAL AND PLUMBING PERMITS ARE SEPARATE PERMITS. THEY ARE NOT INCLUDED WITH THE BUILDING PERMIT FEE.
1) Electrical Guidelines should be referenced before performing any electrical work.
2) Electrical Permits can be applied for online or the application can be downloaded (go to navigation bar on left).
3) Electrical Inspections can be scheduled online.
1) Plumbing Guidelines guidelines have been published for homeowners who wish to install their own plumbing.
2) Plumbing Permits can be applied for online or the application can be downloaded (go to navigation bar on left).
3) Plumbing Inspections can be scheduled online.
- Mechanical Permits
1) Mechanical Permits can be applied for online or the application can be downloaded (go to navigation bar on left).
2) Mechanical Inspections can be scheduled online.
Obtaining Permits & Scheduling Inspections Online
- Applying for Permits Online Brochure - FOR HOMEOWNERS
- Apply for Permit
- Automated Inspection Hotline Brochure - FOR HOMEOWNERS
- Homeowner's Permit - ONLY FOR HOMEOWNERS ACTING AS THEIR OWN GENERAL CONTRACTOR
- Schedule Inspection
- Create a Contractor Account
- Applying for Permits Online Brochure - FOR CONTRACTORS
- Apply for Permit - Contractor
- Automated Inspection Hotline Brochure - FOR CONTRACTORS
- Schedule Inspection - Contractor
Codes & Guidelines
Constructing or Altering a Driveway Within The Road Right-Of-Way
Permits to construct or alter a driveway within the road right-of-way are issued by the Osceola County Road Commission.
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
You can check the status of an individual's license by name, license number, license type, or location at the LARA website.
REScheck-Web simplifies residential energy code compliance by automating the trade-off calculations for the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) and a number of state-specific codes. It performs just like REScheck, the desktop version, but you don't need to download or install any software on your computer.
When Building Inspections are Conducted (by Township)
Diagram showing when building inspections are conducted in each township.
Additional Forms, Permits, and Worksheets
Available on the menu bar to the left or from the Building Department.